The Shackouls Honors College offers a rigorous and distinctive curriculum for our students. Honors students have the option of following a specific path toward graduation with honors – our distinguished Cursus Honorum or General Honors, which entails selecting from a wide variety of courses as best fits their schedules and career goals. In both cases, they will be challenged by some of the university's finest educators and enjoy the experience of small class sizes and innovative assignments.
To be considered a student in good standing in the Honors College while following the Cursus Honorum, please visit Cursus Honorum.
To be considered a student in good standing in the Honors College while pursuing the General Honors curriculum, a student must successfully achieve the following:
- Successful completion of one honors-level course during the first semester at MSU;
- Successful completion of at least one 3 credit hour honors course per academic year;
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.4 or above to remain in good standing;
- Successful completion of a Senior Capstone Experience Project.
After the third semester, each student must file with the Honors College Office a declaration of intent to complete the Senior Capstone Experience with a tentative selection of their chosen path. The Senior Capstone Experience can be fulfilled by successfully completing one of the following:
- a substantial presentation to the student’s Senior Seminar class in their major field of study;
- an internship with a presentation to a group of professionals; or
- a research project culminating in an Honors Thesis, with formal defense.