The Shackouls Honors College encourages all qualified applicants to apply* by the December 1 priority deadline. However, earlier applications are preferred. Applications submitted after May 1 will be considered only as space allows.
* The deadline for Transfer, International, and Current MSU students is May 1.
Freshman who are admitted into MSU and have a minimum 30 ACT or 1400 SAT and 3.75 high school GPA, will be invited for automatic admittance into the Honors College. An invitation will be sent via email to students who meet these criteria which will include additional instructions.
Applicants who do not meet the criteria for automatic admission must:
- Be admitted to Mississippi State University
- Submit the online Honors application
- Submit the Honors application essay (Essay Guide).
- Submit the names and email addresses of two teachers who are willing to serve as your recommenders.
Applications will be reviewed by the Honors Advisory Committee. Admissions notifications generally begin to go out in February.
As an incoming freshman, Honors housing is not required, though it is encouraged. Honors students have the opportunity to live in the Honors Residential College: Griffis and Hurst Halls (as space allows).
Once you have logged in: Click on the Shackouls Honors College logo to proceed with your application.
** Remember, you must first be admitted to Mississippi State University to apply to Honors.