Global Brigades-Honduras, Research, and Shadowing

Charles hanging out in Honduras with a friend

By Charles Provine

This summer has been and will continue to be a great summer for me. I just came back from a nine-day trip to Honduras with Global Medical Brigades. Our group of Mississippi State students helped provide medical aid to over 900 people in Villa Santa and completed five public health projects in El Ocote. It was an incredibly rewarding experience to learn from and connect with the people of Honduras. For the rest of the summer, I will be doing influenza research work at the School of Veterinary Medicine’s Department of Basic Sciences under the direction of Dr. Henry Wan. In the lab, I will be working with and learning from Lucas Ferguson, Mississippi State’s first Gates-Cambridge Scholar. Additionally, I will be shadowing physicians across Mississippi to better prepare myself for my future career as a medical doctor, and I will be volunteering my time in Jackson and Starkville to help better the communities I live and study in.

Charles in group photo with children in Honduras

Charles climbing a tree with group of kids and family he built sanitation station for